A rolling pin is a large cylindrical object that has smooth sides to be able flatten foods.
Uses for Rolling Pins
You can use a rolling pin for a variety of purposes including:
- pita bread
- cookie dough – sugar cookies, shortbread cookies, etc.
- pastry dough
- pizza dough
- pasta dough
- scone dough
- cinnamon roll dough
- puff pastry dough
- pie crust
- tart dough
- flatbread dough
What types of rolling pins are there
- wooden tapered – French style rolling pin
- wooden straight sided rolling pin
- marble rolling pin – ideal for croissant dough
- narrow and long rolling pin – for tortillas
- glass rolling pin – vintage
- rolling pin with thickness rings
What are rolling pin rings for
Rolling pin rings are for flattening a dough to an exact and precise measurement.
Tart dough, pie crust, and crackers all require dough to be flattened to a specific measurement.
Rolling pin rings sit on the edges of the rolling pin.
They will stop the dough from flattening any further than your required measurement.