Making ice cream at home without needing an ice cream maker is possible by using ice and salt together.
Is salt really necessary to make ice cream?
Yes. Salt lowers the freezing temperature of water. So your ice with salt together end up being colder than frozen ice cubes. This makes the ice cream freeze much faster than if you were just using ice cubes without the salt.
To make instant ice cream you’ll need to gather a few items:
- 4 trays of crushed ice cubes – approximately 1 Litre of ice cubes
- 90 mL coarse salt
- 1-3 L Ziplock bag
- 1-975 mL Ziplock bag
Instant Ice Cream
- 125 mL heavy cream
- 30 mL sugar
- 2 mL vanilla extract
- 50 mL fruit (chopped frozen fruit)
- In a 3 L Ziplock bag, place both the salt and ice together.
- In a 975 mL bag, place heavy cream, sugar, vanilla, and frozen fruit and seal completely.
- Place the small bag inside the big bag.
- Massage the bags together for 5-10 min. Wear oven mitts to prevent your hands from getting too cold.
- Serve immediately. Recipe has enough ice cream for up to 2 people.