Sugar cookies can be decorated with sprinkles a few different ways:
- Flood the sugar cookie with royal icing.
- Add sprinkles to the center, or in another area of the cookie. Use only a pinch of sprinkles at a time, and move your fingers together to slowly drop the sprinkles into place
- Flood the sugar cookie with royal icing. Let it dry.
- Add more royal icing/decorations as needed.
- Add sprinkles to the portion you want the sprinkles to be. Make sure to add them before the royal icing dries.
How do you get sprinkles to stick to icing?
To get sprinkles to stick to royal icing or buttercream, add them immediately after piping your icing when it’s still wet. Add sprinkles to your icing before it dries. The icing acts like a glue for the sprinkles to stick to.
How do you make royal icing using eggs for sugar cookies?
- Mix 3 pasteurized egg whites/6 tablespoons in a stand mixer with the whisk attachment on medium speed.
- Add 1 cup of icing sugar to the stand mixer at a time until you’ve reached a total of 4 cups of icing sugar.
- Mix for 4-5 minutes.
- Separate the icing and add colors as needed. Add a tiny bit of water to the bowls that you want to use to flood the sugar cookie to thin out the icing.
- Pipe royal icing onto sugar cookies.
How to Store Royal Icing?
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days.
What is the best sugar cookie size?
It’s best to have a mixture of sugar cookie sizes when serving them to guests. Be sure to cook similar sugar cookie sizes together so smaller cookies do not over-bake in the oven. Try to have anywhere from a 1″ sugar cookie to a 4″ sugar cookie for a big variety of sizes.
How do you stack cookies with icing?
Let all of your cookies dry before stacking cookies. Royal icing takes a couple of hours to dry. Once royal icing is dry, you can stack as many cookies as you like. Buttercream cookies cannot be stacked. The icing doesn’t harden like royal icing does.
Can you leave sugar cookies out overnight?
You can, but they will stale quicker. It’s best to let them cool in about ~20 minutes, then store them in an airtight container. They will last up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
Do you decorate cookies before or after baking?
Always decorate cookies after baking. This is because icing, sprinkles, and other decorations will melt in the oven.
Do you let cookies cool before decorating?
Yes. Let your cookies cool for about 20 minutes before decorating. Icing will melt off of your cookie if you do not let your cookies cool fully before decorating.
How long do decorated sugar cookies last?
Decorated sugar cookies last 2 weeks at room temperature in an airtight container. Decorated sugar cookies will last up to 6 months in the freezer in an airtight container.