Chocolate bark is tempered chocolate that looks like tree bark from the foods put into the chocolate.
The foods are placed on the top of the chocolate so they only sit in about half way in the chocolate.
The foods are generally not mixed into the chocolate. Since the foods are placed on top of the chocolate it gives more of a colorful look to the chocolate which makes it eye batching.
Chocolate bark uses tempered chocolate because the chocolate becomes easy to bite into and gives it a shiny look to it. Tempered chocolate isn’t as hard to bite into as just melted chocolate that has hardened.
See video here.
Chocolate bark topping ideas
- dried cranberries
- dried apricots
- dried figs
- toffee pieces
- candy cane pieces
How to Make Chocolate Bark
- Gather your ingredients you are planning to put into your chocolate bark. Prepare them accordingly – chop, dice, slice your foods so they are ready to put into your chocolate bark.
- Line a baking pan with a silicone pastry mat.
- Temper your chocolate.
- Pour the tempered chocolate onto your silicone pastry mat.
- Spread the chocolate out to the thinness you would like using a spatula. Try to make the edges full – not too thin of chocolate. Use the spatula to rim the edge of the chocolate if you have to, to make the edge thicker with chocolate. This will be helpful when breaking apart the chocolate bark later.
- Sprinkle your ingredients onto the chocolate bark. Do not press the foods into the chocolate. Try to make sure ingredients an even distribution throughout the chocolate.
- Keep the chocolate at room temperature while it’s curing. It will take about an hour to solidify.
- Once the chocolate is a solid brick, peel the chocolate off the pastry mat. break the chocolate bark apart by using your hands to gently break off bits of chocolate that are about 2-3″. You want the chocolate bark to be big enough for someone to have a couple of bites.
- Keep the chocolate bark stored at room temperature. It should stay good for minimum 4 weeks.
How to cut chocolate bark
Chocolate bark is cut but simply breaking the chocolate apart with your hands. This gives the chocolate bark more of an ununiform look to it, which is more desirable for serving. Chocolate bark is more of a creative dessert, therefore the uneven edges fits the look of chocolate bark than just cutting it into squares or rectangles.
How to keep chocolate bark from melting
To keep chocolate bark from melting, temper your chocolate before you make your chocolate bark. Tempered chocolate has a melting temperature of 37 degrees Celsius.
Do not keep your chocolate bark in the fridge or freezer, or this will bring the fat droplets to the edge of the chocolate turning it white.
Chocolate bark thins recipe
A delicious bark thins recipe is using toffee pieces and sea salt on top of dark tempered chocolate. Salted caramel and chocolate has complimenting flavors that go well together.
Chocolate bark can be made into a thins recipe by spreading the chocolate as thin as possible until it’s about 2-3 mm in height off of your silicone pastry mat.
Make sure you temper your chocolate first, then using a spatula, spread the chocolate thin. Add your favorite foods on top of the chocolate and let it set. Break apart the thin chocolate bark gently. Do not be too aggressive with it, or your topping with fall out of the chocolate.
Chocolate bark packaging ideas
Chocolate bark can be packaged a few different ways to give it an eye catching look to it.
- stack the chocolate bark on top of one another. Wrap the bark in cellophane and tie with a ribbon
- place the chocolate bark in a themed tin – Christmas, birthday, etc. Arrange the chocolate bark in the tin so it’s fanned out.
- put the chocolate bark in a glass – this could be a wine glass, drinking glass, etc. Have it stacked sideways in the glass. Wrap the glass in cellophane and tie with a ribbon.
- place the chocolate bark in an airtight container – decorate the container with a few decals
Chocolate bark gifts
Chocolate bark is an easy, beautiful, homemade gift you can give to a friend or family member. Making chocolate bark for gifts is thoughtful, and many people love having a handmade gift given to them over something purchased. This gives your gift more of a personal touch.