Thick and decadent hazelnut sauce recipe for your favorite desserts.
You could also use this hazelnut sauce in fillings for cakes, pastries, or even in your morning latte.
Learn how to first make your hazelnut praline paste recipe, and then turn it into a hazelnut sauce.
Hazelnut Sauce Recipe
Roasted Hazelnut Praline Paste
- 35 g water
- 100 g sugar granulated
- 100 g roasted hazelnuts peeled
- salt pinch
- 200 g hazelnut praline paste
- 80 g heavy cream
- Roasted ~100 g of hazelnuts at 360 °F for 15 minutes. Let the nuts cool to room temperature. Remove the skins by rubbing the cooled down nuts in your hands until most of the skins have come off. Remove as much of the skins as possible off of the hazelnuts.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and sugar over low – medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves and begins boiling. Stop stirring the saucepan and let it boil on its own. Turn down the heat and let it boil on low (1-2).
- The sugar will go through transformations as it becomes caramel. The sugar will begin to form crystals and be completely dry in the saucepan.
- The sugar crystals will begin to melt and become a golden brown color. When it's turning a bit darker of a color, it's time to take it off the heat. You don't want to burn the caramel sauce.
- Get a baking pan ready with a silicone baking mat lining it. Once your caramel sauce is finished, remove it from heat. Mix the sauce to make the crystals melt all the way through if there's any left in the pot. Pour the hazelnuts and salt into your caramel sauce and mix until they are fully covered.
- Pour the hazelnut and caramel sauce onto the silicone baking mat. Let it cool to room temperature, it will solidify.
- Break the caramel into smaller pieces. Place them into a food processor. It will be LOUD. Prepare yourself! It's best to do this step with ear protection. Blend on low, then on high. Scrape the sides down and blend until it becomes a paste (a couple of minutes).
- Place your hazelnut paste (it should be about 200 g) into a heat proof bowl.
- Heat the heavy cream over medium heat until it just before it comes to a boil.
- Remove the cream from heat and pour into the hazelnut paste. Mix until full combined. Let it cool to room temperature, then place it in the fridge for an hour until it thickens.
- Store it in the fridge for 1 week or freeze and keep it for 1 month.
What is praline paste made of
What does praline mean
Praline means to cover hazelnuts in caramel sauce.
Can you freeze praline paste
Yes, you can freeze praline paste and thaw it in a couple of hours at room temperature.
What to do with leftover praline paste
You can make a praline base for a cake by easily adding 60g praline paste, 35g melted dark chocolate, and 35g of rice krispies. Place the base in a springform pan using the back of a spoon to push it into place. Put it in the freezer for 1 hour to let it solidify.