How to make cookies and cream icing?
Cookie and cream icing can be broken down into only a few different components:
- Butter for buttercream icing
- Cookies: choose your favorite cookies for your icing. Some of my favorite cookies to use are Oreos, birthday cake Oreos, vanilla creme peek freans
- Milk (alternatives include: half and half for a more rich flavor, oat milk & skim milk for a lighter flavor. The percentage of milk I usually choose is 2%. It’s a nice balance of flavors and creaminess
- vanilla- you could get the vanilla flavor from the filling in the cookie, or vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Icing sugar
Cookies and Cream Icing Recipe
How to make cookies and cream buttercream icing at home using a stand mixer
Yield: 60 macarons
- Stand mixer
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 2 tbsp Oreo crumbs
- 8 Oreo Cookies smashed into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups Icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk 2%
- 4 tsp vanilla extract
- Begin by creaming the butter until it is fluffy, just a few minutes by a stand mixer.
- Add your vanilla extract and cream together.
- Add the milk and mix together. It should be a but liquidy and not fully come together yet.
- Add Oreo crumbs.
- Put Oreos into a ziploc bag. Place the bad on a wooden cutting board and then put the cutting board on a strong surface. You could put it on your kitchen counter or on your dining room table. Smash the cookies using a kitchen mallet or crush them up with the opposite end of a wooden spoon until they are all broken up into smaller pieces.
- Remove the Oreos from the bag and put them in your stand mixer bowl. Mix together with butter mixture.
- Start adding the icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beat it until it’s fully combined and a nice consistency. If you need the icing a bit more stiff add a bit more icing sugar. If you need the icing more runny, add a splash of milk.
- Your icing is ready. For any leftovers, store in the fridge for 5-7 days. For anything longer, store in the freezer for up to one month.