Step by step guide how to make London fog tea scones.
Earl grey tea can be infused into scones by placing a tea bag into warm milk. Let it infuse for a few minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
We use both vanilla bean paste and vanilla extract in London fog tea scones. If you don’t have vanilla paste, you can substitute for another tsp of vanilla extract.
London fog tea scones are light and fluffy with a hint of earl grey and vanilla to coat your pallet.
London Fog Tea Scones
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar granulated
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter cold
- 1/2 cup milk warm
- 1 tea bag earl grey
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Earl Grey Icing
- 1/3 cup butter room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tea bag contents
- Warm milk in the microwave for ~ 1 min. The milk shouldn't be scalding hot, just warm. Add the earl grey tea bag to the milk.
- Mix together in a large bowl flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg, vanilla paste, and vanilla extract to the warm tea infused milk.
- Remove the tea bag from the milk. Add the milk to the flour mixture.
- Gently mix the scones until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Roll out the scone dough until the thickness is 1/2". Cut the scones in small triangles (2-2.2" inches long).
- Bake the scones at 425 degrees F for 8-11 minutes until just browning on the edges.
- Let the scones cool.
Earl Grey Icing
- Cream butter in a stand mixer on high.
- Add vanilla extract and cream together. Slowly add icing sugar to the butter.
- Add milk to thin the icing. Cream on high. Adjust icing by adding icing sugar to thicken the icing, or milk to thin the icing if you need to.
- Empty the contents of an earl grey tea bag into the icing. Beat on high.
- Spread the icing onto the tea scones.