Edible cookie dough uses a combination of butter, brown sugar, and vanilla extract to create the memorable flavors of cookie dough.
Edible cookie dough is made without using eggs.
Edible cookie dough can be made with cooked flour if you’re concerned about bacteria in the flour.
Heat treat the flour until it reaches 166 degrees Fahrenheit.
You can do this in the oven, or in the microwave (heat for about a minute).
Use a thermometer to measure the temperature of the flour to ensure the flour has reached the proper temperature.
When to add edible cookie dough to ice cream
Edible cookie dough needs to be added at end of the churning process when making ice cream.
The base of vanilla ice cream needs to churn for about 20 minutes until it’s thick like soft serve ice cream.
Add the edible cookie dough by using a melon baller scoop. Only fill the scoop about 1/3 full of the melon baller.
As the ice cream churns, add a small amount of cookie dough using the melon baller until you’ve added all of the cookie dough.
This should take a few minutes to add in all of the cookie dough.
If you’re wanting to add chocolate chips into your cookie dough ice cream, add them in after the cookie dough has been mixed into the dough.
Once your chocolate chips and cookie dough are completely mixed in, your ice cream is ready.
Freeze your soft serve ice cream for a few hours so it firms up. Serve your cookie dough ice cream with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Edible Cookie Dough for Ice Cream Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter unsalted, softened
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour heat treated
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips chopped
- Cream the softened 1/4 cup of butter with 3 tbsp of brown sugar and 2 tbsp of granulated sugar using a stand mixer.
- Add in 1 tbsp milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract and mix together.
- Add 1/3 cup of flour and a pinch of salt and mix on low speed until combined.
- Add 1/3 cup of chopped chocolate chips and mix together to create your edible cookie dough for ice cream.