Butternut squash curry is a chunky stir-fry served over rice, and garnished with fresh cilantro leaves and cashews.
Butternut squash is one of the most resilient vegetables.
It will keep at room temperature for months on end.
When you’re in a pinch to create a healthy meal, butternut squash curry with coconut milk is one of my go to recipes.
Butternut Squash Curry with Coconut Milk
- 2 cups butternut squash cubed
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1/2 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp sugar granulated
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- handful cilantro chopped
- handful cashews
- 2 cups basmati rice cooked
- Sauté onions over medium heat with olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add butternut squash and ginger. Stir to coat the mixture.
- Add the red curry paste and yellow curry powder. Stir to coat all of the butternut squash. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk and sugar to the mixture. Simmer the squash on medium heat until it's fully cooked throughout ~15-20 min. Pierce with a fork to check doneness.
- Finally, add the spinach and stir until it's wilted and combined in the sauce.
- Remove the curry from the heat source. Serve curry over freshly cooked rice. Top with cilantro and cashews.