Butternut squash is one of the most resilient vegetables. It will keep at room temperature for months on end. When you’re in a pinch to create a healthy meal, butternut squash curry with coconut milk is one of my go to recipes.
Butternut Squash Curry with Coconut Milk
- 2 cups butternut squash cubed
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp ginger grated
- 2 tbsp red curry paste
- 1/2 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1 can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp sugar granulated
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- handful cilantro chopped
- handful cashews
- 2 cups basmati rice cooked
- Sauté onions over medium heat with olive oil for a couple of minutes. Add butternut squash and ginger. Stir to coat the mixture.
- Add the red curry paste and yellow curry powder. Stir to coat all of the butternut squash. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth, coconut milk and sugar to the mixture. Simmer the squash on medium heat until it's fully cooked throughout ~15-20 min. Pierce with a fork to check doneness.
- Finally, add the spinach and stir until it's wilted and combined in the sauce.
- Remove the curry from the heat source. Serve curry over freshly cooked rice. Top with cilantro and cashews.