Sweet basil is very useful to add a punch of flavor in your cooking. It’s one of the most fragrant, strong herbs you can add to a dish.
What are some appetizers you could use sweet basil for?
Roasted Cherry Tomato Bruschetta Recipe
- 1 pkg cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil cut into strips
- 1/2 baguette sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil for brushing bread
- 1 garlic clove cut in half
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- Place cherry tomatoes into a small bowl and drizzle olive oil on top. Add salt and pepper. Mix gently with a spoon until all the tomatoes are covered in oil.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, place tomatoes evenly dispersed on the pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 min.
- While the tomatoes are baking, slice half of the baguette. Brush each piece of baguette with olive oil on one side.
- Once the tomatoes are finished baking, preheat the oven to broil on high.
- Broil the bread for 1-2 min, watch carefully. Only toast them until your desired doneness.
- Place the tomatoes into a small bowl and add fresh cut basil. Mix them together with a spoon.
- After the bread has finished toasting, rub each piece of bread with the cut side of the garlic. This gives it just a hint of garlic flavor, without being overpowering.
- Add tomato mixture onto the bread pieces.
- Top with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Prosciutto Appetizer with Apples
- 100 grams prosciutto separated into long 6 cm pieces x 1 cm width
- 2 tbsp fig jam
- 10 leaves basil fresh
- 1/2 apple thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp balsamic reduction
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 baguette sliced
- Slice baguette into rounds that are ~1 cm thick
- Brush baguette slices with olive oil
- Toast baguette slices for 2 min on broil high in the oven
- Remove baguette slices from the oven and set on a serving plate
- Using a knife, apply a bit of fig jam to each of the baguette slices
- Place 1 basil leaf on top of each of the baguette slices
- Cut the apple in half. Cut the halves in half. Remove the seeds/center bits. Slice the apple thinly so they fit nicely on the baguette slices.
- Place the prosciutto on top of the apple slices
- Top with a bit of balsamic reduction
What are some pizza recipe ideas to use sweet basil with?
What are some pasta recipe ideas to use sweet basil with?
Sweet basil has many uses in cooking, from appetizers to pizza and pasta, you’ll never run out of ideas to use it with! With it’s strong flavor, it spices up recipes with it’s aromatic fragrance.