The best mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe you’ll ever try is creamy, with chunks of chocolate throughout and finishes off with a hint of peppermint.
Mint chocolate chip ice cream can be made with dark chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips. You can choose to make it with mini chocolate chips, which will make the ice cream look uniform and professional. If you are using regular chocolate chips, it’s best to chop them up into smaller pieces for your mint chocolate chip ice cream.
To churn your ice cream, you don’t need anything too fancy. I recommend using the Cuisinart Pure Indulgence Ice Cream Maker. You freeze your ice cream bowl for 24 hours, then place it in your ice cream maker. Place your plastic mixing part inside the bowl, and then put the lid on. There’s only 1 button of on and off. They make it very simple to make ice cream in about 20-25 minutes. Make sure to set up your ice cream maker in a different room that you can close the door. Churning ice cream is a loud process, but once it’s done, you’ll love making ice cream!!
Peppermint extract vs Mint extract for mint chocolate chip ice cream
Peppermint extract is made from purified peppermint oil, whereas mint extract is made from a variety of mint plants. Peppermint extract has more of a finish and stronger flavor to it than mint extract. It’s better to use peppermint extract in mint chocolate chip ice cream due to the stronger and more concentrated pure peppermint oil flavoring.
What milk to use for mint chocolate chip ice cream
Typically I use 2 % milk for this recipe, but you could use homo, or 1% milk. However, milk can be substituted to fit your own needs.
How to make mint chocolate chip ice cream vegan
If you wanted to make mint chocolate chip ice cream recipe vegan, you can substitute the milk for oat milk, or almond milk. Substitute the heavy cream for coconut milk. Substitute chocolate for your favorite vegan chocolate.
What flavor is mint chocolate chip ice cream
Mint chocolate chip ice cream has a minty fresh flavor to it, with chocolate bits throughout the ice cream that balance the flavors of chocolate and mint together. Mint chocolate is one of the most desired ice cream flavors in North America.
Best Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Recipe
- Ice Cream Maker
- 2 cups milk 1% or 2%
- 2 cups heavy cream chilled
- 1 cup sugar granulated
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tsp peppermint extract
- 10-15 drops green food coloring optional
- 1 cup chocolate chips chopped
- In a large bowl, combine milk, heavy cream, and sugar. Mix well until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Add vanilla extract and 1 tsp of peppermint extract. Taste test the mixture. If you would like a stronger mint flavor, add 0.5 tsp more, taste test again. You can go even further and add another 0.5 tsp of peppermint extract. Usually 1 tsp of peppermint extract is enough to give a hint of flavor, which is what I normally use.
- Add a few drops of food coloring and mix well. Keep adding only a couple of drops of food coloring until you're happy with the green color of your ice cream.
- Your ice cream maker bowl needs to be frozen for 24 hours before using it. Once your bowl is chilled, set up your ice cream maker. I use Cuisinart's Ice cream maker which only has 2 plastic parts, one sits in the bowl to mix, and 1 as a lid.
- Turn your ice cream maker on. Pour your ice cream mixture into the frozen bowl. Let it churn for 10 minutes.
- While your ice cream is churning, chop up your chocolate chips. Chocolate chips are a little big for ice cream, so you could use mini chocolate chips instead if you like.
- After 10 minutes of churning, add in your chocolate chips.
- Let your ice cream churn for another 10 minutes.
- Turn off your ice cream maker. Remove the ice cream from the frozen bowl, into an air tight container. Place it in the freezer for 3 hours prior to serving.