Coffee ice cream is made using a custard base, and then adding your favorite freshly brewed coffee or espresso to flavor the ice cream cream.
Coffee can be a very powerful flavor, therefore we’ll only be adding a couple of ounces of coffee to flavor the ice cream.
If you’re concerned about the flavor, only add 1 fluid ounce at a time, and taste test it. Only add as much as you need to.
If you over flavor the ice cream, you can add a little more vanilla extract to counter act the coffee flavor.
Alternatively, you can add a bit more whole milk to thin out the coffee flavor.
What can you add to coffee ice cream
In the last 5 minutes of churning coffee ice cream, you can add:
- mini chocolate chips
- toffee bits
- caramel sauce (marbled look)
- gingerbread pieces
- crushed cookies
- chocolate sauce (marbled look)
- mini peanut butter cups
What can you serve coffee ice cream in
You can make your own chocolate cups to serve your coffee ice cream in for a special treat.
If you don’t have a silicone mold, you can use a cupcake liner and paint the inside of the liner with melted chocolate.
Place the cup in the fridge for a few hours, then remove the outer paper lining.
Serve your coffee ice cream in your delicious chocolate cup.
Coffee Ice Cream Recipe with Ice Cream Maker
- espresso maker
- Ice Cream Maker
- mesh sieve
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 shots freshly brewed espresso/strong coffee
- In a medium saucepan over low to medium heat add the heavy cream, whole milk, sugar and salt. Whisk to fully dissolve the sugar ~ 4 to 5 minutes.
- In a large glass bowl place add the egg yolks and whisk the yolks together.
- Slowly whisk 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks. You do not want to cook the eggs. Only add a couple of tablespoons at a time at the beginning and whisk vigorously to prevent the eggs from cooking. Continue whisking until 1 cup of the hot milk in mixed into the egg yolks.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the saucepan. Whisk until it comes to a simmer.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat source and mix in the vanilla and espresso or hot coffee.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve and place in fridge until chilled (about 6 hours, but leave it overnight in the fridge to make it easy).
- Add mixture to ice cream maker and churn for 20-25 min.
- Freeze mixture for another 3 hours until fully chilled for ice cream and not just soft serve.