Pesto bread appetizer is a savory appetizer that you can use as a pull apart bread, or cut into sections to serve. Pesto bread appetizer is a twisted bread recipe which creates a beautiful look to the bread when you serve it to your guests.
Pesto bread appetizer is topped with parmesan cheese which crisps up in the oven. The twisted bread recipe comes out of the oven golden brown when it’s finished.
We recommend serving the pesto bread warm as an appetizer. It’s best served right out of the oven to your guests.
Pesto bread appetizer uses fresh pesto which has more flavor than store bought pesto. You can substitute store bought pesto if you’re unable to make any fresh.
Pesto Bread Appetizer
How to make a pesto bread pull apart appetizer
Yield: 10 people
- 2 tsp dry active yeast or instant
- 1 cup warm water (100-110 degrees F)
- 2 1/2 cups flour all purpose
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup fresh pesto
- 4 tbsp parmesan cheese grated finely
- In a large stand mixer bowl, place yeast and warm water. Let stand for ~10 minutes until yeast blooms. Fit your stand mixer with the dough hook.
- Add olive oil, salt, and flour to the yeast mixture. Set the stand mixer to low speed while it combines the ingredients together.
- Set the dough to knead on low to medium speed for ~5 minutes. The dough should come away from the sides after a few minutes. If the dough is sticky, add 1 tbsp of flour as needed.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer. Place a clean kitchen towel over the bowl and put it in a warm location in your house. Let the dough ball rise for ~1 hour until it doubles in size.
- Roll your dough out on a floured surface until it reaches 18" x 12".
- Spread pesto all over the dough, leaving a 1 cm margin from the edge of the dough.
- Roll the dough lengthwise. Pinch either end of the dough to seal it.
- Leave an inch from the top, then start cutting the dough in the center, down the middle, right through the dough. Twist the dough on top of one another. Twist each piece until you reach the end of the dough. Seal the ends of the dough together to make a circle.
- Place the dough on a baking sheet. Add parmesan cheese all over the dough.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes until crust is golden brown.
- Serve immediately. You can serve it as a pull apart bread, or cut into sections for your guests.