Salted caramel cream filling can be used for countless recipes including:
- Filling for cream puffs
- Filling Ecalirs
- Filling for cakes
- Whipped topping
- Filling tarts
- Crème brulée base
Salted Caramel Cream Filling
How to make salted caramel cream filling for cakes, cream puffs, etc.
Yield: 3 cups
- 3/4 cup sugar granulated
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter room temperature
- Place sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir with a spatula until it turns into a golden amber color.
- Slowly stream the heavy cream into the saucepan and whisk vigorously. The caramel with bubble and potentially splash you. Be careful to stand back as you add the cream and stir until fully combined.
- Add milk, salt and vanilla bean paste to the saucepan. Let it heat until just before it starts boiling (1-2 bubbles).
- While you're waiting for your cream to heat up, in a separate large bowl, place egg yolks, egg and cornstarch. Whisk them together.
- Temper the eggs by adding the hot cream VERY SLOWLY and whisking vigorously. Do not cook the eggs. Try adding just a small amount ~1 tbsp cream mixture at a time until you feel comfortable adding more. This way, you won't cook your eggs.
- Place the egg/cream mixture back into the saucepan by straining it through a sieve into the saucepan. This will take out any pieces of egg that may have cooked, leaving you with a smooth mixture. Heat the mixture on medium heat.
- Whisk the custard while it's heating. You'll know when it's thickened. It will be very difficult to stir the pot, you'll see how thick your custard is when you're stirring it. Once you're happy with the thickness, remove the saucepan from the heat. Add butter and mix until the butter is fully melted and combined into the custard.
- Chill the custard by putting it in a fresh bowl and adding plastic wrap directly to the custard to prevent it from making a skin. Chill for 2-3 hours until cold. Then it's ready to use!