Cream cheese icing a memorable icing lathered on cinnamon rolls for a sweet treat.
Cinnamon roll icing is made with butter, powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla extract.
Cream cheese is added to buttercream icing to make cream cheese icing for cinnamon rolls.
Do cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting need to be refrigerated
Cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting need to be refrigerated. Any frosting made with cream cheese needs to be refrigerated to stay at a safe temperature. Thaw your cinnamon rolls out from the refrigerator for 20 minutes before serving. Alternatively, you can microwave your cinnamon rolls for 20-30 seconds to warm them up before serving.
The fridge will slow down the aging process of the cinnamon rolls as well, making them stay good for longer than if they remained at room temperature.
Cream Cheese Icing for Cinnamon Rolls
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Cream butter and cream cheese together using a stand mixer or hand mixer. Cream together until light and fluffy. It's easiest to cream them when they are a bit soft. Leave the butter and cream cheese on the counter for 20 minutes to soften before using.
- Add vanilla extract and salt into the cream cheese icing and beat for 30 seconds until fully combined.
- Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and cream together. It's ok if the mixture isn't coming together yet, it will!
- Add the last cup of powdered sugar and beat until the icing becomes smooth and thick ~ 3 minutes on medium-high speed. Be patient, it will come together.
- Spread cream cheese icing on cinnamon rolls when they have cooled coming out of the oven. Cream cheese icing is enough for 12 cinnamon rolls to be iced.