Coconut ice cream is just about as rich and creamy as regular ice cream. Usually regular ice cream is made by tempering egg yolks, heavy cream and half and half.
Coconut milk ice cream doesn’t require any of that. It’s just as tasty and rich, with much less work.
When making coconut milk ice cream, you can pretty much add any extra flavoring you like:
- lavender buds (cooking with coconut milk, then strain afterwards. Add food coloring if desired)
- earl grey tea (steep for 3-4 min)
- rose petals (cooking with coconut milk, then strain afterwards. Add food coloring if desired)
- basil (cooking with coconut milk, then blend in a food processor afterwards. Add food coloring if desired)
- espresso (add coffee into the coconut cream mixture when heating + 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extra when cooling to room temperature)
- vanilla (add vanilla extract into the coconut cream mixture when it’s cooling at room temperature, before refrigerating)
- raspberry/blackberry (add berries at the end, when the ice cream mixture is churning in the ice cream maker, or blend berries with coconut cream in a food processor)
- chocolate (add 1/4 cup cocoa powder per 1 coconut milk can + 1/4 cup sugar/honey + 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- caramel (add caramel when it’s churning to marble the caramel throughout the ice cream)
- mint chocolate chip (2 tsp peppermint extract + 1/2 cup honey + 1 tsp vanilla extract [when cooling], add 3 ounces of shaved [use a potato peeler] dark chocolate when it’s churning the ice cream)
Does coconut milk taste coconuty
- When you’re adding flavors to it – no. The flavor you’re adding to it will overpower the coconut taste. If you’re not adding any flavors, yes it will taste like coconut. But it’s a fairly neutral flavor that will not be too strong of a flavor
Is coconut milk ice cream dairy free
- yes and it’s vegan!
What type of coconut milk should I use for ice cream
- Use full fat coconut milk so it’s rich and creamy texture and smoothness comes through
What types of sweetener can you use with coconut milk ice cream
- maple syrup
How to make coconut ice cream
- Freeze ice cream bowl for minimum 24 hours
- Measure out your coconut milk (usually 1 or 2 cans) and add it to your medium saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Add sugar/sweetner to your coconut milk.
- Add tea/lavender/herbs/coffee to mixture. Cook on medium heat until mixture coats the back of a spoon (8-10 min).
- Remove from heat. Add extracts once your mixture has started to cool down.
- Add berries and puree with food processor (be careful not to keep it closed in due to the steam).
- Chill the mixture for minimum 6 hours.
- Churn the mixture in your ice cream maker for 15-20 min. (Add berries/caramel towards the end of the churning process)
- Freeze mixture for 3-12 hours before serving in an airtight container.
- Thaw for 10 min at room temperature before serving.