Step by step guide how to make your own eggless puff pastry recipe at home. Be prepared, as this will take 2.5-3 hours. Store eggless puff pastry in the fridge for 2 days, or freeze it for up to 6 months.
9 Eggless Puff Pastry Recipe Ideas:
- chocolate braids
- spinach and cheese puffs
- cranberry brie bites
- mushroom filled pastry bites
- pulled pork pastry puffs
Eggless Puff Pastry Recipe
Step by Step guide to making homemade eggless puff pastry
Yield: 3 lbs
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 100 g butter cold
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 400 g butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup flour
- Measure 4 cups of flour and 2 tsp salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut in 100 g cold butter with a pastry blender until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour 1 1/4 cups water into a well in the center of the flour.
- Mix and knead for a few minutes until the dough becomes smooth.
- Chill dough for 30 min. Wrap in cling wrap.
- Mix 400 g room temperature butter and 1/2 cup flour together. Shape into a 9" square by beating it with a rolling pin in between 2 cling wrap pieces on a cutting board.
- Roll the dough out to a 12" square. Place butter in a diamond shape on the dough.
- Close the dough around the butter like an envelope and seal the edges so the butter is fully enclosed.
- Use flour as needed to roll the dough into a rectangle shape until its ~ 1/4" thick. Fold the dough like a letter. Fold one side over the center. Then fold other other side over the center creating 3 layers of even size.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle again and repeat the letter folding process. Chill for 30 min.
- Repeat this process until you have completed 6 folds, chilling for 30 min in between every 2 folds.
- Your puff pastry is ready to be used. You can roll it out until it's about 1/4 " in thickness to use. You can cut the dough in half and freeze it if you're not going to use the whole thing. 1/2 dough will roll out to 10" x 24". Pieces of puff pastry that are 10"x 9" should be baked for 18-25 min at 400 degrees F. Pieces that are 5"x5" can be baked for 15 min at 400 degrees F.