Vegetarian pesto flatbread recipe is best made with fresh pesto. The secret to making a good pesto flatbread is adding more fresh pesto to the flatbread once it has come out of the oven.
Pesto is absorbed into the flatbread as it cooks, so the flatbread is a bit dry when it comes out of the oven.
Adding more fresh pesto the flatbread once it comes out of the oven adds back the sauce and moisture. The flatbread is the perfect combination of thin crust, and it is packed with flavor. You will love the sundried tomatoes and pesto together.
We recommend using fresh mozzarella for your pesto flatbread recipe. Fresh mozzarella is more flavorful and browns very well in the oven.
We have included a few pictures to see the difference between regular mozzarella vs fresh mozzarella for this flatbread recipe.
If you need to make some fresh pesto before starting your flatbread, try out our recipe.
Vegetarian Pesto Flatbread Recipe
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 1 tsp sugar granulated
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup warm water 100-110 degrees F
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2-3/4 cup pesto fresh
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes
- 16 slices mozzarella cheese fresh or regular
- Combine yeast, sugar and warm water in a large mixing bowl. Let it sit for 5 minutes to active the yeast.
- Add flour, olive oil, and salt to the mixing bowl. Mix with a fork or wooden spoon until it has started to come together. Turn onto a floured flat surface and knead the dough for a couple of minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough back into the mixing bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for 45 min – 1 hour.
- Cut the dough in half and roll out the dough. You should have 2 flatbreads to work with.
- Add 2 tbsp of pesto to each of the doughs. Using the back of a spoon, spread the pesto to create a thin layer of pesto as the "pizza sauce".
- Add 8 slices of mozzarella around the dough. Do not overlap the cheese, it should have some space in between each of the cheese slices.
- Add the sundried tomatoes around the flatbreads. Put them on the pesto, not on the cheese slices.
- Bake the flatbread at 450 degrees F for 7-12 minutes. The flatbread edges will be light-golden brown, and the cheese will start browning when it's ready to come out of the oven.
- Remove the flatbread from the oven and place it on a wooden cutting board.
- Using a spoon, spoon the pesto onto the flatbread. While it's still warm, the pesto will melt into the pizza. This is a crucial step, and cannot be missed. Having the extra fresh pesto on the flatbread will make the pesto have more sauce, and will prevent it from being dry. Fresh pesto adds a ton of flavor to flatbread.
- Cut and serve immediately.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.