Smoked vegan carrot lox is the long lost breakfast option for people that want to add more veggies to their routine.
If you struggle with the idea of eating oatmeal every day, or chugging a vegetable-filled smoothie each morning, you have to try this vegan cream cheese recipe out!
Guest Post by Cashew & Cheese
Ally of Cashew & Cheese creates her own vegan recipes from scratch.
From slow roasting carrots to taste like salmon, to vegan portobello mushrooms tasting like steak, she has some of the most unique vegan recipes on her blog. Her Greek heritage comes through in her recipes making them incredibly flavorful and decadent. Today she’s going to teach us how to slow roast vegan smoked carrots to taste like smoked salmon.
Smoked vegan carrot lox satisfies your savory cravings while still feeling light and healthy.
This meal works incredibly for meal prep. Smoke your vegan carrot lox on Sunday and enjoy them all week long.
Smoked Vegan Carrot Lox
- 1-2 large carrots peeled into strips
- 2-3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2-3 dashes liquid smoke
- dash nori komi furikake
- 1 tbsp caper liquid optional
- 1 tsp capers
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch dill fresh
- 1/8 red onion sliced
- 1/2 pkg vegan cream cheese
- 6 whole wheat English muffins or bread of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, toss the peeled carrots with rice vinegar, liquid smoke (2-3 dashes), kelp granules (nori komi furikake), caper liquid, salt and pepper (white pepper works well). As long as it smells fragrant and a faint bit like seafood, you are good to go!
- Wrap your seasoned carrots in tin foil packets.
- Slow roast your smoked vegan carrots by cooking them in your oven for about 3 hours, flipping the tin foil packets every 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven at the 3 hour mark. Check them and adjust flavor/cook time to your own preference.
- Once you're happy with your smoked vegan carrots mixture, let them cool to room temperature.
- Toast English muffins. Assemble smoked vegan carrot lox by adding vegan cream cheese, fresh dill, smoked vegan carrots lox, red onions, and topping with capers. Serve immediately.
- Store excess smoked vegan carrot lox in an airtight container in the fridge.