Gold dusted macarons are striking and glittery macarons. You can add gold dust to macarons to make unicorn macarons or engagement ring macarons for a specialty cookie to serve at a birthday party, wedding, or bridal shower.
Gold dust decorated macarons are more of a upscale macaron. You can fill them with enticing flavors like bubbly champagne buttercream.
How to put gold dust on macarons
Tools and Ingredients
If you are wanting to paint the entire macaron gold, use the widest food safe paintbrush you have to save yourself time.
- Place a pinch of gold powdered food coloring in a small jar to “make” your paint in.
- Add a couple of drops of almond extract to your jar.
- Mix the jar of almond extract and gold powdered food coloring together. Now you’ve made your paint for your gold macarons. If your gold paint dries out while you’re working with it, add a few more drops of almond extract.
- Using a food safe paint brush, dip your paint brush into your newly made gold paint.
- Hold your macaron on a steady surface, and brush your gold paint on top of your macaron where desired. You can even paint the entire macaron in gold paint if you want to. Avoid the icing portion of the macaron, and only paint the shell to make the icing stand out on the macaron. Don’t push too hard on the surface of the macaron shell as it is quite delicate to work with.
- Let the macarons dries fully for about 20 minutes.
Gold dusted decorated macarons will store well in the freezer for up to 1 month, or up to 3 days in the fridge.
For unicorn macarons, you only need to paint the horn of the unicorn gold. The ears of the unicorn macaron can be painted in a light pink powdered food coloring.
For birthday macarons, you can color a number on the macarons, or birthday candles using gold dust.
Bridal shower macarons can have a ring painted in gold dust on the outer edge of the macarons.
You can also shape the macarons into a ring when you pipe them.
Pipe 1 circle macaron as normal, and then add a diamond shape on top.
Use a toothpick to make the edges of the diamond into a triangle that sits above the circle.
You can color the diamond blue, or white, and the ring of the macaron will be painted with gold dust.