Hazelnut meal is simply hazelnuts that are ground up to make a finer texture.
Hazelnuts have oil in them, therefore they can’t just be blended by themselves to make hazelnut meal.
Hazelnut oil needs to be absorbed while it’s being blended to create the meal, therefore it needs granulated sugar to be added to it.
Hazelnut meal can be used in a variety of recipes including making cake bases, pie crusts, and cookies.
How to Make Hazelnut Meal
- 220 g hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp sugar granulated
- Roast 220 g of hazelnuts at 360 °F for 15 minutes. Let the nuts cool to room temperature. Remove the skins by rubbing the cooled down nuts in your hands until most of the skins have come off. Remove as much of the skins as possible off of the hazelnuts.
- Place 220 g of hazelnuts into a food processor.
- Add 1 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Blend the hazelnuts on low, and then on high until the hazelnuts are a fine texture. They only need about 10-25 seconds of blending in total. You don't want to overdo it and make a paste.
- Your hazelnut meal is ready to use. Store it in an airtight container at room temperature for any leftover hazelnut meal.