Why buy laminate countertops?
Laminate is a strong countertop with its plywood base. Laminate will last around 10-15 years. If exposed to water, it can come away from the plywood base, but can be easily glued back into place. It will scratch if a knife comes in contact with it. It’s a low maintenance countertop that doesn’t need any special maintenance on it.
Laminate plastic surface is susceptible to heat, and can melt if a hot pot comes in contact with it. Place any hot pots and pans on a wooden cutting board.
How to clean a laminate countertop?
clean with soap and water and it will be as good as new.
Whar color is the best for laminate countertops for white cabinets?
- neutral colors
Why buy granite countertops?
Granite countertops will last you the life of your kitchen. They resist scratches and stains, especially with the darker granites like grey and black.
Granite is a porous material that requires sealing every decade to keep it long lasting, which you can do yourself.
Dark granite countertops are among the strongest countertops you can get for your kitchen. Granite is a natural stone that is not affected by heat. Place hot pots and pans directly on the countertop with no issues.
It’s very uncommon to get a chip or a crack in a granite countertop.
Granite is unique in that it’s a natural stone material. Every piece of granite is going to have different patterns
What does granite feel like?
Granite feels sleek, smooth, hard and durable.
Should granite countertops be as smooth as glass?
Yes. It should feel as smooth as glass.
Why buy quartz for kitchen countertops?
Quartz is the newest trend in modern kitchen renovations. With it’s neutral colors and low maintenance, it’s the most common kitchen countertop going into renovations these days.
- durable and stronger than granite
- non-porous – no bacterial growth unlike granite that is porous
- no maintenance, unlike granite which needs sealing every 10 years
- man-made – more even pattern/colors possible than granite which will be more unique patterns
What are the downsides to quartz countertops?
- not heat resistant – always need a hot pad put underneath hot pots and pans
- more likely to stain/stratch/chip unlike granite
- price – very expensive
How to clean quartz countertops?
- soap and water with a soft cloth
- for specific stains and what cleaning products to use, see your quartz manufacturer for guidelines