Making your own chocolate ice cream at home is easy, but time consuming. Making ice cream usually takes a couple of days because there are multiple steps involved with different temperatures. To make your own ice cream, you’ll need your own ice cream maker.
What are the parts of an ice cream maker?
The mixing paddle sits in the center of the appliance.
The base of the ice cream maker is the electrical portion that turns the bowl and has the on/off controls.
The bowl of the ice cream maker is made with a special liquid inside the bowl walls. The liquid is able to freeze when put into the freezer. The whole bowl should be frozen solid after about 24 hours.
How does the ice cream maker work?
The ice cream maker freezes your ice cream slowly by creating small ice crystals with your mixture. The mixture comes in contact with the walls of the frozen bowl, making the mixture drop in temperature until it freezes into the ice crystals.
After about 20-25 minutes the ice cream maker creates “soft serve”.
How long to freeze the ice cream after it’s done churning?
Overnight is easiest, but give it at least 6 hours to freeze completely.
Thaw for 10 minutes at room temperature when you’re ready to eat your ice cream.
How to temper eggs for making ice cream?
- Separate eggs into egg yolks and egg whites. You only need the egg yolks.
- Select a large bowl for the egg yolks to be in. Add sugar.
- Using a whisk, mix the eggs yolks and sugar together
- Using your hot cream, slowly add 1-2 tbsp of hot cream to the bowl with the egg yolks and sugar.
- Quickly whisk the hot cream and egg mixture.
- Slowly add 1-2 tbsp of your hot cream mixture at a time to your egg mixture until it’s fully combined. Go VERY slow. This is not a rush, it takes time. The more quickly you go, the risk of cooking the eggs which will ruin your ice cream. No one wants cooked eggs in their ice cream!
- Add the egg/cream mixture back to the saucepan and continue cooking over low-medium heat until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon.
How to make Chocolate Ice Cream
- Ice Cream Maker
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Measure out and add heavy cream and half and half to a saucepan on medium heat.
- Add cocoa powder and whisk together until smooth and at a low simmer.
- Place your egg yolks to a large bowl. Add sugar.Using a whisk, mix the eggs yolks and sugar together.
- Using your hot cream, slowly add 1-2 tbsp of hot cream to the bowl with the egg yolks and sugar. Quickly whisk the hot cream and egg mixture. Slowly add 1-2 tbsp of your hot cream mixture at a time to your egg mixture until it's fully combined.
- Add the egg/cream mixture back to the saucepan and continue cooking over low-medium heat until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon. Cook until it reaches 175 degrees F.
- Let the mixture come to room temperature. Mix in vanilla extract.
- Refrigerate for 6 hours.
- Retrieve your ice cream maker bowl from the freezer (needs to be frozen for 24 hours). Place bowl into your ice cream maker and add mixer and lid. Turn on your ice cream maker. Pour ice cream into the maker. Churn for 20-25 min. Freeze for 3 hours before serving.